Re: [PyrNet-L] 2 dogs instead of 1

Hi all

Thanks for your stories and advise. I am really enjoying reading how having 2 (in some cases more) dogs works for all of you and the dogs too. We brought "Pal"(the pyr mix) home last night. (My nephew named him after the dog in the cartoon "Arthur").

When I first introduced Pal to Buddy - Buddy was sniffing Pal, & the little guy showed his teeth. Initially, Buddy was fine..tail wagging, just checking him out etc. and we all went for a walk. When we came back home and Pal was in the house, Buddy had this look as if to say "What, this pup is staying here?...Ummm I don't know about this."

Things went ok, but Buddy is food aggressive. Any time Pal would venture into the kitchen, Buddy would growl at him. And to top it off, when I gave Pal his food in another room, Buddy would try to muscle his way in, growl at Pal and try to eat his food. I would tell Buddy "No..your food is in here"..and lead him back to the kitchen. This went on most of the night. My husband and I were trying to give them equal attention, but when I would pet Pal, Buddy came over & looked at Pal and growled..and was insistent that I pet him. Overall my impression is Buddy's aloof and not very impressed with Pal.

(Actually, Buddy has been kind of aloof to my husband and I for the last couple of weeks. (Like not giving us the usual pyr eye to eye greeting with kisses, not sleeping in our room, and being very, very suspect of strangers...not just barking at them, but strongly barking at them..which he never really did. I asked some friends and they thought maybe he's acting this way because he's becoming an "adult" (he'll be 3 in July)-anyone experience this?) Nothing in our home has really changes except that it's been exceptionally hot in CT these days.

This a.m., all of us were in our yard and Pal was checking thing out. I was playing Frisbee with Buddy (which equates to 2 or 3 tosses at the most, then I'm retrieving the toy) and Pal wanted to get into the game too. Both Pal and Buddy ran toward it, but Buddy wasn't having it. He growled at the little guy and Pal submissively crouched down, as if to say "Ok, Ok, just don't hurt me". Then Pal ran, trying to hide behind John..and Buddy chased him (like a freight train) and almost pounced on him, but deliberately missed..but it looked like a warning.

Pal is in a crate in a different room of the house today..yelping his little head off when we left for work today..the poor guy has had a tough time. He was dropped at the shelter yesterday, then picked up by us, then brought to our new home with a big growling dog, then put in a crate! I feel bad, but I hope he gets used to the crate and us.

So, what do you all think? I am sorry this is so long winded, but I am concerned about Buddy and the little guy...maybe this wasn't a good idea??? My husband seems to think that it will work out over time..but I'm worried. Buddy is my first "baby" and really our priority and I don't want him to get too stressed either and given that he's been acting a little strange lately....

Any thoughts/advise is greatly appreciated!!

Jenn, John, Buddy (the pyr), & Pal (the pyr mix) Starrs

Do You Yahoo!?