Re: [PyrNet-L] 2 dogs instead of 1

Tania,

I agree with your advice.  I experienced this same sort of behavior when I
brought home a new pyr.  It was very rocky going for the first couple of
weeks but I think what resolved many of the problems was me establishing
myself as alpha.  My female, the resident pyr, is very aggressive and very
alpha.  She tried to bully us when we first brought her home.  At the advice
of Janet Ingram (NCAGPC Rescue), I read a great article called, "Who's In
Charge Here: A lesson in becoming alpha," by Vicki Rodenberg De Gruy.
Here's the internet address:
http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/alpha.htm.  It was up to me to
establish the pecking order in the house.  Eventually, my two settled in,
the female still being a rung above NewDog, but me calling the shots
overall.

To get over the food aggression business, we started feeding both dogs in
their crates, letting them out when they were finished, and then latching
the doors closed so that neither dog could go in the other's "space."  Also,
the crates were at opposite ends of the room, with a blanket draped over
each for privacy.  The other thing we did was enforce basic obedience from
GirlDog.  She didn't get a treat, a pat, her walk, ... anything ... until
she obeyed sit/stay.  She got sharp verbal reprimands for being mean.  We
still have the occasional skirmish over a toy or a crumb dropped on the
floor, as if she has to remind him that she was here first, but this is all
bark and no bite and he backs down without a challenge.  Eventually each dog
finds its place in the "pack" and harmony returns (well, sort of!).

Kim