From: PyrLove214@aol.com [mailto:PyrLove214@aol.com]
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2000 8:43 AM
To: pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org
Subject: Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: introduction of Wolves into Yellowstone

In a message dated 05/12/2000 8:56:05 AM Central Daylight Time,
JGentzel@aol.com writes:

<< She
 stated that Pyrs were being killed by wolves roaming out of Yellowstone,
that
 had been reintroduced.  She said one dog was no match for wolves.  When I
 inquired about packs of wolves killing one dog, she said that the wolves
were
 solitary and were killing the dogs one on one.  I realized I did not know
 much about the size, strength, and ferocity of these Wolves. >>
     Wolves only fight one on one when they are a lone male.  Wolves are in
packs at least pairs usually 5-6.  But can be more. I have stated here many
times dogs should not be alone to guard.  That would be like you trying to
guard your home against one or more intruders.  You would put on a good
fight
but even with one you are likely to lose and die.  The dogs are no
different.
 Wolves are big and strong and vicious.  It took a lot to eradicate them
from
most of North America -- years of hunting and bounties and trapping.
    Speaking of large I have seen some big coyotes lately -- really big in
Texas.  Anyone else see large sized coyotes?  Why they use to be smaller in
size it seems.  The coyotes are in large numbers in central Texas.
Pam