Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: introduction of Wolves into Yellowstone

I debated even writing after seeing the letters on this already.  I know
the subject is going to annoy  and upset me!  But may I suggest to
everyone going off on "Wolf Hunts and Coyote Hunts " ( as in witch hunt's
), that you  may seriously wish to try to hunt down a book called " Don
Coyote ", done by a rancher out west.  It is highly educational as to how
these animals actually work and exist in the balance of nature!  Some
breeds of Wolves can get very large, 31" 175 lbs, males, females smaller.
 I would personally not want to see Pyrs. working alone in large areas.
They are always safer in groups.  Probably spiked collars would help, as
Joe suggested.  One of the things that I have always found interesting is
that humans, in their infinite wisdom (????) so fear their dogs, that
they have bred them with smaller teeth over the ages.  Then they expect
them to stand against the predators with that disadvantage?

I have never had a problem with the Coyotes here in Texas as far as my
poultry, although we confine them at night.  I do have problems with
neighbors pet dogs.  I have had big huge sleek Coyotes walk right past
the birds and the P.B. Pigs.  Coyotes are worth their weight in gold in
eating rodents, and that is something like 90-something percent of their
diets.  Yes they can and do eat small dogs, and cats, but that is only if
they are provided for them as an easy meal, mostly they are content to
eat rodents or carcasses of animals, anything easy.  Farmers have had
coyotes trot behind them as they cut crops down, and the coyotes enjoy
the easy meal of rodents running out from under the cover of the newly
cropped fields, or they will clean up ones that were killed.

Considering we don't have many wolves left, and the number of ranchers
that actually use Pyrs.  I would think it might be hard to come up with a
number of Pyrs. killed by wolves?

Oh , for those of you with Internet, you may be interested in looking up
the wolves at Isle Royal / Michigan.  I'm sure you would get a lot of
info.  Excellent information on how the balance works there!

Since our Pyrs. seem to tend to worry prey off ( making it easier for
them to go elsewhere rather than bother the Pyrs. flock ) , and since
most prey animals are bigger than our Pyrs. and heavier, even black
bears.  As I read it they work and worry the prey more often than they
are called upon to get into an out and out attack.  I still think a
working group of Pyrs. must be doing something for them to still be
considered premier guardians of the flocks.

I.M.O.    Cindy.

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas