Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: introduction of Wolves into Yellowstone

The tenor of this message disturbed me, somewhat.  The wolves which were
reintroduced to Yellowstone are carefully tracked by air and ground observers.  A
great many of the animals are still radio-collared, so it's possible to track
them on a daily basis, and this is precisely what the on-going tracking does.
It's fairly easy to pass on anecdotal information, especially when it is seems
exciting (all these wolves are flooding out of Yellowstone and attacking any and
every living thing).  The official tracking program, however, has carefully
recorded statistics regarding confirmed kills by the various packs, and they
don't have much reason to leave the park .  The herds of bison, elk and other
ruminants provide ample hunting opportunities for the wolves within their own
territories.  There are a great many people interested in the reintroduction and,
ultimately, the survival of wolves inYellowstone.  It is not surprising,
therefore, that the activities of these animals are closely watched and recorded,
and the result is a large body of verified data available to scientists and
laymen alike.

I would like to see the back-up data which confirms the claim that wolves are
'roaming out of Yellowstone and killing Pyrs'.  If this has been happening, there
should be official, verifiable records, i.e., which pack, even which individual
wolves, made the kill, the date and approximate time of the kill, and the time
the pack returned to the park.  The author further notes that, "It took a lot to
eradicate them from most of North America..."  Such eradication, or removal, of
wolves from the major part of the continent is NOT a positive thing.  Long before
European transplants showed up, these predators were a well-established and
necessary part of the ecosystem, and served a very useful purpose in controlling
the size of buffalo, deer and elk herds.   They belong in Yellowstone.

If they are leaving the park and preying on livestock, or the protectors of
livestock, there should be ample proof of such activities.  Since they are so
closely monitored and tracked, there should be plenty of data confirming this
behavior.  It appears, however, that supporting information does not exist.
Apparently, it's just a case of a juicy story spread by irresponsible people.
Wolves aren't 'vicious'.  They kill when they need to eat, not for the joy of
killing.  They aren't particularly fond of dogs, either, and avoid them whenever
possible.

Pam L. in Virginia