Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: introduction of Wolves into Yellowstone

I don't know about wolves and Pyrs, but here is my take. My first Pyr was
purchased from a woman who shows and raises dairy goats, and who had raised
Pyrs for 25 years. She is now a good friend of mine. About 2 years ago, she
had a Florida panther (mountain lion, cougar, whatever you want to call it)
show up on her 500 acre farm. It was ripping the throats out of her goats.
She had to keep them in pastures and barns directly next to the house for
several months. This way she could keep an eye on them and the dogs. She also
had to call in special wildlife trappers to capture the animal, as they are a
protected species. She has several Pyrs, and although none of them had a one
on one confrontation, or got face to face with the panther, they did hold it
at bay. When the Pyrs as a group would make a stand on the edge of the woods,
the panther would growl and carry on, but would not come out and face a
confrontation with a group of LGDs. Not even to eat the prey on the other
side of the dogs. The trappers did not manage to capture the panther. He
eventually moved on, the wildlife experts said it was because the goats were
no longer his "buffet." They also said that the few panthers left here in the
US are being driven out of their natural habitat by construction and human
advancement. It's sad really. They have no where to go, and the livestock
seem to be easy prey. I would imagine that LGDs of any breed would be more
efficient and better able to take on predators if they were in groups instead
of as individuals. I mean, realistically is it safe to send one dog out to
battle a group of coyotes, wolves, cur dogs or whatever? Do we want martyrs,
or an army? But that's just my $.02. :)

Melissa