Re: [PyrNet-L] A Nasty Encounter

Joe - I would love to have been able to walk away.  In this particular
instance, we were actually cornered against a brick wall and I couldn't
go anywhere.  That guy was a real moron!  As soon as the opportunity
presented itself, we did move away.

Usually if Gypsy starts her "challenging" behavior when we're on a walk,
I keep right on walking and insist that she heel and pay attention to me.
 Until she was about a year old, she didn't give another dog more than a
glance if we were walking.  Now her head goes up, her body tenses, and
she stares at the other dog as if she's ready for a problem.  If the
other dog is well behaved, Gypsy will continue to heel and we can go on
our merry way.  But if the other dog even so much as picks up it's head
and looks at her, I have to physically force her to stay by my side.  I
don't want our walks to turn into wrestling matches, so I've already
signed her up for obedience classes where we'll be working with other
dogs under controlled circumstances.  We start this Wednesday.  In the
meantime, I guess I'll stick to places where I can't be cornered!

Jeanne