Re: [pyrnet] Lots of Pyrs

Unfortunately it's Back Yard Breeders.  Here in South Carolina, there are
more and more farmers who have intack Pyrs as LGD.  Then suddenly they have a
litter of pups (gee, wonder how that happened??).  This past week there were
four ads in the SC Market Bulletin for Pyr pups, all around $150 - $200.
There was even an ad for Pyr/Lab pups at $15 a piece!  Also in the Greenville
News, there was an ad for Pyr pups at $300 each.  Unfortunately I know the
"breeder" and if anyone asked me, I'd tell them to run, now walk away from
that person!

Those of us who at some point want to have a litter because we have a sound
dog with wonderful temperment, wins in the show ring, and great confirmation
and pigment, etc, etc, are thinking long and hard about it.  I'm afraid that
the responsible breeders with the dogs that do confirm to the standard will
breed less and less, and the BYB who only see the dogs as a way of making
money will have more litters and degrade the standard of dog out there.  This
may seem "doom and gloom", I hope I'm wrong!

Robyn
dancingpyr@aol.com
Taylors, SC