Re: [pyrnet] Lots of Pyrs

We have Canton flea market, as seen in Darrells article in the G.P.C.A.
magazine, and it is the bane of every animal lover's existence in this
area.  The people who buy there do not believe in spay- neuter, so next
they are having dogs with litters.  And I absolutely agree with Robyn on
the Rancher's not caring enough to spay/neuter their working dogs.

I cannot tell you how many people who come to our door to buy eggs, can't
begin to understand why we are not breeding our siblings ( ? ), are
aghast that we did have them spayed/neutered...how could we?  Real easy
thanks, so much easier to live without that little reproductive problem!

Then there is that rather nasty old wives tale about the dogs being
useless for working when altered.  My favorite is the females get fat and
lazy ( they never mention the males?), and we can't get rid of that
notion ( are people getting more stupid??).  I had an appliance man out
here yesterday that greatly admired that little Staffy/mix we took in.
Pretty dog and she shines like a wet seal pup.  As we were saying we had
her spayed, the conversation got colder.  He proceeded to mouth off about
it being too bad we ruined her as now she would become fat and sloppy.
This line of thought annoys me at the best of times, but the real humor
was in the fact that "Shadow" is a real high energy type dog ( as would
befit her basic breed
type ), and was out making gigantic circles in our rather large county
front yard, at break neck speed.
At the moment no one was tossing things for her to chase, so she was
burning off her own energy.  She is actually eating only about one cup
less food a day than the Pyrs. as she expends so much energy.  She is as
muscular as a rock ( also typical of that Staffy type background ).  The
only difference in her since spaying is that she can't reproduce, other
than that her personality, or energy level hasn't changed a bit.  But we
are still fighting an attitude.

People buy a dog in this area, and they all think they should be
breeding.  Our low cost spay and neuter clinic is wonderful, and they do
volumes of animals a day, as well as regular Vet. clinics, and yet we
still don't see to put a dent in it.  Our paper always has Pyrs. for
giveaway prices.  I guess the Internet just reflects the rest of it.
Although knowing how much people hate to take the time to brush dogs, I
have had to wonder why people are jumping on the Pyrs.  They are gorgeous
of course, but definitely not the lazy man/or womans dog!   Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka