[pyrnet] Behavior issue

This is not pyr-related but I thought maybe some of you would have good
advice for me. Two years ago we rescued a seven year old German Shepherd,
Tessa. Tessa bonded with me very quickly and she was gentle and tolerant with
my three kids, although she prefers me to anyone else. In the past three
months, Tessa has become unpredictable with kids. When my toddler niece tried
to pet her while she was eating (near her face, which she shouldn't have done
but it was a lapse on my part), Tessa growled and snapped at her and Eleanor
ended up on her back crying with Tessa standing over her. Then a few weeks
ago, my four year old walked near Tessa while she was chewing a bone. She
never touched Tessa but Tessa growled and bit her. I saw this happen. It
didn't break th skin but did leave bite marks.

Tessa is 100% obedience trained and she definitely sees me as the alpha. She
tends to be neurotic and insecure. When I leave home for a day, my husband
says that she paces frantically.

Obviously I am not feeding her near kids or giving her chews near kids. But
in a household with three children and many of their friends around, I now
find myself on edge every time Tessa is near them.

She is in good health, although her hips get sore. She takes joint-care
supplements and this has definitely helped.

How do you suggest that I handle this?

Thanks--
Katie

The Great Pyrenees as Pet Page at :