Re: [pyrnet] Behaviour issue

----- Original Message -----
From: ARIEGE <ARIEGE@xtra.co.nz>
To: Pyrnet Pyrnet <Pyrnet-l@gamerz.net>
Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2000 5:52 PM
Subject: [pyrnet] Behaviour issue

> and this is where in some cases  bonding does not work with Rescue dogs
who
> have been through so much and just cannot take the kindness after the
> cruelty. This sort of behaviour can take quite some time to surface
> especially if the dog's security feels threatened.   The day I saw the
bitch
> we looked after try and take a bit out of one of my daughter's face was
> enough and this wasn't the first time either, she had bitten a child's
hand
> who tried to pat her.  There will always be dogs who have a problem
possibly
> caused by irresponsible owners/breeders and I am sure the majority of
people
> will do everything they can to ensure the wellbeing of the dog and to try
> and cope with the problems facing them

     Ironic that this discussion is taking place today because I am in this
position at this very moment and have made my decision as to what I am going
to do.  We were near a playground with my newfie/shep mix this afternoon---
some may remember that he landed at my house at the age of 4 weeks and I was
his fourth home two years ago.  Anyhow this little girl was petting him and
I had him on a short leash for control as I always do with my dogs when out.
Well she made a sudden move towards him and he caught and tore her lip-- it
happened so fast that I am not sure he got her with a paw or a tooth.  Now
he has been raised with two little girls, my twin granduaghters who are now
5, and I  have not had a problem with him. Anyhow, he is in quarentine and
will be placed in a town facility tomorrow, and I have decided that at the
end of that period I will have him put down.  My heart aches at this, but at
the same time refuse to take a chance of such an incident again.  I have put
alot of work into this dog and at two he has mellowed some, but at the same
time I realize that a maturing mix mind can be a loaded gun and am not
taking any chances nor would I want a placement to be put in this situation.
Regardless of how hard we try with any rescues, abuse no matter how early in
life it happens together with the unknown genetic mix effect is often a
loaded gun waiting to happen.  In all my travels with MOlly my pyr, I have
never come close to this happening.
Sadly,
Nancy