Re: [pyrnet] behavior issues

As someone who does rescue and sees the gamut of canine behavior, I've been
following this thread with great interest.  I have "owned" (to use your
words Cindy) three Pyrs since getting my first Pyr/dog 6 years ago.  And
whether or now ownership is a good or bad thing, are part of my family, and
I love them dearly.

As part of my obligation to my Great Pyrenees clubs (national and regional),
and especially as part of my obligation to the breed, I have had to
euthanize dogs because of severe aggression problems.  Where does my
responsibility lie?  To the breed and to the public!  Was I *right* in what
I did?  I don't think so.  What I do know is that I was *responsible*, and
to me, that is what is key here.

<<It allows the animals some rights.  >>

Any dog that my rescue groups fosters does have a right.  We give them the
right and the opportunity to find a new home.   But what about the "rights"
of the public?  Isn't owning a dog with aggression problems dangerous to
society?  If someone doesn't take responsibility and ownership for dogs with
problems, Pyrs will take the same route as the "Pitbull".  To some degree,
we need to really think about the big picture here without loosing site of
the individual dog and it's not easy.

<< At any rate, your point is well made, among those who care!  >>

I have to take exception to this statement.  I feel like you're implying
that folks who think that animals should have the same rights as people are
the only ones who care!  Dammit, I care too.  I care when I hold these
rescue dogs in my arms and feel them pass on to the next world.  I care when
I go home and hug my dogs and cry because I had to *play God* for the sake
of responsibility.  I care and ask for the forgiveness of God when I have to
make these kinds of decisions.  Someone HAS to.

Off my soapbox,
Karen Reiter
PFNE Rescue Chair

---