Re: [pyrnet] Responsibility

In a message dated 6/12/00 12:38:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
llamamama@netzero.net writes:

<< Correct me if I'm wrong,  but aren't even pyrenees potentially dangerous
 dogs, if only by sheer size?  >>

Potentially by size and strength, yes.  By temperament and reliability the
breed is no threat to its family and certainly children.  The breed is
totally reliable as a breed, only those poor unfortunate animals that are not
breed typical temperament are the ones that cannot be tolerated.  Those that
attack unprovoked and family are not correct, they may be deranged or
mentally ill.  So I believe your question as asked is you are wrong.

<<Why are there so many pyrenees in rescue,
along with every other breed of dog?>>

Many reasons, all that have to do with our misuse of the breed either
handling or breeding.

We don't in any civilized society that I am aware tolerate any animal, human
or otherwise that harms others.  Most areas have animal abuse laws and those
that do not need too.  There are no free passes in abuse and the same is true
when our Pyrs attack without justification i.e. a non-guarding situation and
certainly its family and its children.  A Pyr with the correct temperament
cannot be made to hurt children in the family.  It would endure all the
juvenile behavior with the most aggressive move being to move off away from
the child.  The rescues are a difficult situation.  We work so hard to place
them when others have been so irresponsible and then we have to receive the
feedback of their tortured inappropriate behavior.  I have never been a
strong advocate of rehoming problem dogs.  I just have never came up with
anything else that makes much more sense.

Joe