Re: [pyrnet] Responsibility

On 13 Jun 00, at 7:37, JGentzel@aol.com wrote:

> Potentially by size and strength, yes.  By temperament and reliability the
> breed is no threat to its family and certainly children.  The breed is
> totally reliable as a breed, only those poor unfortunate animals that are
> not breed typical temperament are the ones that cannot be tolerated. Those
> that attack unprovoked and family are not correct, they may be deranged or
> mentally ill.

Also what seems to have been left out of this discussion is this
portion from the breed standard describing the breed temperament:

   ** Character and temperament are of utmost importance. In nature,
the Great Pyrenees is confident, gentle, and affectionate. While
territorial and protective of his flock or family when necessary, his
general demeanor is one of quiet composure, both patient and
tolerant. He is strong willed, independent and somewhat reserved, yet
attentive, fearless and loyal to his charges both human and animal.

Although the Great Pyrenees may appear reserved in the show ring, any
sign of excessive shyness, nervousness, or aggression to humans is
unacceptable and must be considered an extremely serious fault.**

I believe the above paragraph says it all.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico
http://home.flash.net/~pyrs/judy/judy.htm