[pyrnet] CHAT - owner in need of training

    Last week was hell week at work during the day and then carrying the
pager off-shift for oncall duties. To top it all off, I had to be in the
office at 5am on Thursday because of database failures. Thursday night, my
eyes were closing by 7PM. Hoping to keep Pico occupied, I gave him one of the
basted rawhide bones that I usually reserve for outside consumption and went
to bed.
    Pico immediately jumped up onto the bed to join me, drooling nasty
basting stuff in his wake. "Oh no, you don't", I told him and grabbed the
bone out of his mouth (YUCK!) and tossed it to the floor. He looked at me,
looked at the bone and jumped down to get it. He turned around and started to
come towards the bed again. I told him "NO" in a firm no-nonsense tone and
held my hand up in the classic STOP position. He jumped over the hand, back
onto the bed. I repeated my actions, and again, and again.....
    Now he is thinking that this is a really good game that I have invented
for bedtime and is enjoying himself immensely. His tail is wagging, he has a
big puppy grin on his face and he is just sailing over me to jump back onto
the bed after my latest toss of the bone. Finally figuring that this is not
working out as planned, I took a different tack. The next time I had the
bone, I got out of bed and placed it on the floor. Pico came down to
investigate and I told him to lay down. He did so, I gave him the bone and
told him to stay. He just looked up at me as if to say, "Why didn't you tell
me this was what you wanted in the first place?! Humans!" <G>.  I crawled
back to bed and fell asleep to the sound of Pico happily demolishing his
bone.
    He is usually so good at understanding what I want that I assumed he was
being disobedient rather than confused. Maybe I need an obedience refresher
course.

Elaine and Pico (the confused, not disobedient pup)