Re: [pyrnet] trouble between dogs-LONG post

On 10 Jul 00, at 4:04, tmseller wrote:

> Unfortunately, Sadie's aggression is also rolling over to some of my human
> guests, which is another reason I'm looking for another solution other
> than simply keeping them separate.  She has not threatened or bitten
> anyone yet, but she has begun posturing and growling at things that bother
> her.

Increased aggression and all out grumpyness may be a sign of a
thyroid problem.  Sadie may be also suffering from some aches and
pains as she's getting older.  I'd have a vet check and thyroid panel
done on Sadie. Also Bonnie seems at the age where she wants to move
into the alpha position.  It does sound like the aggression has
progressed to the point that you will have to separate these two
girls permanently.  It is also a concern that Sadie is now troubled
by your friends and different situations like the young man with the
ear phones.  I'd get a vet check on Sadie and start crate training
Bonnie. A portable kennel outside would allow you to put the dogs
outside, one kennelled, one free in the yard. If you feel Sadie won't
accept a crate, then just crate Bonnie if both girls are inside. When
they are outside you can rotate them in the kennel run.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico
http://home.flash.net/~pyrs/judy/judy.htm