Re: [pyrnet] trouble between dogs

I agree with Jan completely on her advice on keeping your two dogs completely apart at all times.  We have a similar situation with an older border collie female (spayed, 9 years old) and our oldest female Pyr (3 years old also spayed).  About 2 years ago, after living in peace for the first year, Kes and Maggie got into a fight.  Fortunately for them, David was near and was able to break up the fight, by tossing Maggie over the fence into another yard.  Unfortunately for David, he got nailed in the leg in the process. (Talk about bad timing!)  Kes had blood all over her, but apart from some small scratches on the ears was fine.  Maggie on the other had, had quite a bit of bleeding, both from bites on the head, neck and on her abdomin.  She wound up going to the emergency clinic (of course it happened on a Saturday night).

Since that time, we have not been able to keep these two bitches together.  A good stout fence makes good neighbors, even if the neighbors are dogs.  Although Maggie is the smaller, she will not back down, and Kes is determined to keep her place as new alpha bitch.  This past spring, by accident, Maggie and Kes wound up on the same side of the fence.  Again, David was there by himself, and was able to get the two apart by hooking a lead rope to Kes and tying her to the fence.  However, Maggie was severly injured this time, and required a short hospital stay.  At least this time, it was on a Tuesday morning and I was able to take her to our vet.  This sitation should never had happened, but it did, and we are far wiser for it.

Robyn
dancingpyr@aol.com
Taylors, SC