[pyrnet] Boarding Kennel Blues

Hi All,

We're back early from our Niagara Falls trip.  It started raining in Ontario on Sunday and we were missing the pyrs so we packed up early.  And a good thing too.  First thing this morning I went to the boarding kennel to pick up Daisy and the cat, Penny.  I was expecting a great big bear hug from Daisy, as this is her habit when she's not seen you in awhile, but instead I was presented with a scraggly, dirty, heavily panting mess that hardly resembled the dog I dropped off last Wednesday!!  She barely acknowledged my existence and made it clear that she just wanted to get in the car.  When we pulled up in front of the house, she made a bee-line for the front door and drank three bowls of water once she was inside.  After that, she seemed more like her old self and crashed on the basement floor.  I was shocked at how dirty and stained her ruff and chest were.  It was too dirty to even brush through.  On top of that, she was "flea biting" excessively at her belly and front legs.  I know she doesn't have fleas as I treated her with Frontline the day I dropped her off.  Some of it is seasonal allergies but I think the rest is stress.  Has anyone else had a similar experience when boarding your pyrs?  Daisy was seriously stressed!  And she's visibly lost weight in just the few days we were gone.  I was hesitant about boarding my pets in the first place because all three (2 pyrs, 1 cat) are "used" pets from rescue.  I worried that they would think they were being ditched again.  We've just finished giving Daisy an oatmeal bath and Aveeno rinse.  I gave her some benedryl and she's completely passed out here under my desk as I write this.

Badger, on the other hand, was very happy and excited to see me, but he looked quite well.  He boarded with the vet so that care and treatment could be continued on his ears.  He had his sutures out and a good ear flushing while we were gone, and came home clean and fed.  Badger has spent so much time at the vet's in recent weeks that it's like a second home for him!  Everyone knows him on sight and he likes all the technicians who work there.

After this experience with boarding (even the grouchy cat was happy to be home!) it will be hard to leave them again.  We're already talking about alternatives for next year, such as having someone we know and trust stay in the house with them.  I've already looked into pet-friendly hotels in Ontario for our next trip north WITH the pyrs.  Our other trip this summer is a driving tour down the Blue Ridge Parkway and we plan to take Daisy and Badger with us.  I think Penny will make do at home with a self-dispensing feeder and waterer.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of you have already experienced what I just have and no longer take summer vacations ;-)

Kim, Daisy and Badger