Re: [pyrnet] Boarding Kennel Blues

On 10 Jul 00, at 17:32, kdbooth wrote:

> First thing this morning I went to the boarding kennel
> to pick up Daisy and the cat, Penny.  I was expecting a great big bear hug
> from Daisy, as this is her habit when she's not seen you in awhile, but
> instead I was presented with a scraggly, dirty, heavily panting mess that
> hardly resembled the dog I dropped off last Wednesday!!  She barely
> acknowledged my existence and made it clear that she just wanted to get in
> the car.  When we pulled up in front of the house, she made a bee-line for
> the front door and drank three bowls of water once she was inside.  After
> that, she seemed more like her old self and crashed on the basement floor.
>  I was shocked at how dirty and stained her ruff and chest were.  It was
> too dirty to even brush through.  On top of that, she was "flea biting"

All of these symptoms from Daisy could be stress over being boarded.
If you were satisfied with the boarding kennel's appearance and
cleanliness, it was probably an okay facility.  If not, then find
another kennel.  Since you know that Daisy gets stressed, you might
try a day board before you go on your next trip.  Once she knows you
will be back, she will accept having you away and being in a strange
place. Sometimes the first boarding is the hardest on the dog.

I recently had a rescue that would drink copious amounts of water and
drool until his crate pan was completely wet, stress over being
contained and left alone.  Luckily for him, with gentle
reconditioning he learned that being contained was not all that bad
and we were finally able to place him in a good home.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico
http://home.flash.net/~pyrs/judy/judy.htm