Re: [pyrnet] Leonberger?

At 08:43 PM 7/13/00 -0500, Cindy wrote:
>Anyone on the list also have a Leonberger? If so, can you tell me if they
drool ...

Hi Cindy,

I'm the (usually lurking) list member with the Leonberger and the Pyr, and
I'll just confirm what Janice has already said: Leos really do not drool
(except of course under extreme provocation, such as someone eating pizza 2
feet from their face). And yes, the foundation breeds were black and white
Newf, Pyr, and Saint. However, the skull shape is different from what might
expect from this mix, and there has been a great deal of speculation about a
possible fourth mystery ingredient. For whatever reason, Leos do have tight
mouths.

So, with a Leo, you won't have slobber on your walls and ceiling -- but that
doesn't mean you won't have wet floors. Leos, like Newfs, LOVE water. As
puppies, they'll sleep in their water bowls or tip their bowls to sleep in
the puddle; they snorkle and "dig" in toilet bowls, spreading water with
gleeful abandon. When they grow up, they drink a lot and leave trails of
dribble across the floor.

They are great dogs and fun to live with, as long as you are not a
fastidious housekeeper! I love to talk about my dogs, so, anyone, feel free
to ask me questions.

--June Campbell in central Virginia, with Star the Pyr and Amos the Leo. You
can see a few pictures of past and present dogs at
http://www.people.Virginia.EDU/~jmc/dogs/

jnc@virginia.edu