Re: [pyrnet] seizure question

I too, have had to deal with seizures, however my
"experience" did not end well.  My 13 month old Pyr
began to have seizures shortly after his first b-day
for no known reason.....we had a toxicology screen
done to make sure that he had not gotten into
anything, but this came back negative.  He was not
stressed in any way.   His seizures progressed and
worsened to the point were he no longer regained
consciousness between seizures.  He went into an
epileptic emergency and for him it was fatal.  I had
to make the decision to put him down.  His seizures
were so long and severe that his body temperature had
risen and was starting to damage his internal organs.
I was told that like a person, dogs can have seizures
start just "out of the blue".  A seizure is a
"mis-firing of electrical impulses in the brain" and
this can happen to anyone, at any time...this is
epilepsy when it happens often and for no known cause.
 Tests can be done to measure the electrical impulses,
but these are fairly expensive.  Seizures can be
controlled by some anticonvulsants, Phenobarb, for one
or an emergency supply of Diazapam may be issued by
the vet for home use.  I was told that because Merlin
was young, that the seizures would be hard to control
due to the amount of brain growth that still needed to
occur.  If you would like to send me a private e-mail,
I would be more than happy to answer any other
questions for you.

Alison Chorney
Chorney Kennels Reg'd
Timmins, ON