[pyrnet] Dogs and Fireworks -- a Warning

This weekend, David and I went to a show in Salem, Virginia.  While it was a
4 day show, we only were there to show for one day (the main reason for going
was to help a friend pick up her new Newf pup).  We arrived on Friday
afternoon, and were greeted with some very disturbing news.  Seems that a
fireworks display had been scheduled for Thursday night at the baseball field
adjacent to the grounds where the dog show was held.  Whether the organisers
of the fireworks didn't know that a dog show was also being held there,
whether they didn't think, or didn't even care, but the fireworks went off
without many of the dog owners realising what was happening.  The report we
were given when we reached the site was that approximately 50 dogs had
spooked and while most had been found, there were still 3 - 4 unaccounted
for.  Some of the dogs had been found as far as 4 miles away, and one was
found with it's pads rubbed raw.  By Friday night all but one of the dogs, a
mastiff, had been found.  When we left there on Sunday morning, he had not
yet been found, as far as we could find out.

This could happen to any of us at anytime.  Knowing Pyrs, it's hard to where
they would go.  Guess that's why whenever we're out at shows, we keep them in
the RV, in crates or on leads (with a tight grip on the handle).

I hope that the mastiff is found -- I can only imagine what his owners are
going through.

Robyn
dancingpyr@aol.com
Taylors, SC