[pyrnet] Ki

Hello again,

Thanx to everyone to responding to my problems walking with Ki around our
neighborhood.  It has given me some great ideas to work with and I look
forward everyday to getting on here and seeing what everyone has to say!
This site has been a wealth of information to me.

I called animal control today to report the newest "gang" of dogs.  I was
able to give the address of the person(s) these dogs belong to and had alot
to say about the fact that many people in this neighborhood are
inconsiderate of others when it comes to their pets.  The woman assured me
that it would be taken care of this afternoon, so we will see.

I have found a dog trainer in my area in the phone book and would like to
give private lessons or at least small group lessons a chance before the
large group.  Also, with a lab I used to have, I went to the Humane Society
lessons.  I tried to use the quick jerking of the choke chain to correct
behavior with Ki when I originally started working with him.  He didn't
respond favorable to it.  Jerked his head around like he wanted to take a
bite out of me.

I know I am very inexperienced with this breed.  I have never owned such a
large responsibilty as this dog.   But am determined to give him a good
loving home.  I want him to be a happy dog, but also a well behaved one.  So
I guess we both really need some obedience training.  I need to feel more
comfortable handling him, for he can scare me sometimes also, though not as
much now as when I first got him.

My question is, what kind of things do I need to look for in a trainer?
What questions do I ask and which approaches do you recommend and which do
you not?  If the one in my area doesn't work out I can always make the drive
into Savannah...although with my schedule as it is now with school back in I
would prefer not to.

We are in the process of fencing in our back yard, but it's a slow one.  I
also had an exercize question.  What is the best form of play with a pyr?  I
know you should not play aggressive games such as tug of war, but was
curious to know what type of games are safe to play with Ki.   With the
problems in our neighborhood, I have not been able to go run with him the
way I would like to.  Also, when the yard is fenced, I have two small boys
that I would like to teach the appropriate way to play with Ki.

I know this is alot to answer, but I appreciate any advise.

Till next time!

AnnMarie