[pyrnet] Re: AnnMarie

AnnMarie,
    This is a long one ya'll!  Just felt like telling this.  Thanks for
letting me.

RESPONSIBILITY OF BREED:  I have always thought of our dogs as part of the
family.  I treat them that way and I make sure that they have everything
they need in the way of medical attention and basic maintenance.  All breeds
are a lot of responsibility.  Some more than others but all of them are like
children.

FENCE:  As for the fence, you may want to ask some of the others what height
fence they have.  I've read that a Pyr can clear a five foot fence.  I was
going to build a 6 foot iron fence across the front of our home but became
worried that if Bear decided to try and jump it he would "spear" himself.
Now I'm wondering if I need to get a variance for an 8 foot fence.  Any
suggesions with this one from anyone????

 PROFESSIONAL TRAINING:  Let me just tell ya that when Todd and I decided
that Bear needed "professional help" I was very aprehensive about taking him
to someone I didn't know.  We ended up going to a guy that we had been
referred to that is supposed to be very good.
    We went to meet this guy (without Bear) the first time and when he told
me that Bear would be "crated" I nearly fainted.  I just couldn't imagine my
"baby" being locked in a CAGE!!!  He told us why he did it and that it was a
great tool when used in the training of a dog.  He also gave us a
demonstration of what all he can do with his dog.  I was impressed!
He told us what we would have to do when Bear came home and all sorts of
other little details.
    When we left I was horrified!!!  I couldn't believe that I would
consider locking Bear up in a cage.  Well, the long and short of it is just
this.  We let him go.  It was for two weeks on the man's property and we
couldn't see him.  I hated it.  The whole time I felt like I was a bad
mother and that Bear wouldn't want anything to do with me when we picked him
up.
    Well, the two weeks (slowly) passed and when we went to pick him up he
was stained red from the dirt in this man's yard but otherwise clean,
healthy and happy to see me and Todd.  He is trained fairly well.  We still
work with him daily.  But when he came home he knew not to mess in the house
(which had been one of the reasons we sent him ~ along with eating
everything in the house everytime we left him alone).  He hasn't eaten any
shoes, chewed any tables or done anything that is really a "no-no."
    I am the one who walks him most of the time.  I have taught him to stay
(short periods only), heal, heal left, heal right, how to give baby hugs,
big boy hugs, and all sorts of stuff.  When we are done with the walking his
reward is getting to jump on the trampoline.
    When looking at the facilities make sure that they are clean and the
other animals look content.  See how he reacts to them when they start
barking when you enter their kennel.
Get references, ask for a demonstraion of his training and go with your
heart.

EXERCISE:  As for walking in our neighborhood...WE DON'T!  WE CAN'T!!  We
have neighbors that totally ignore the leash law and their dogs have bitten
children, adults, and fought with other dogs.  Call the police and they tell
ya to call the town.  Call the town and they come put out dog traps, take
them to the shelter and the owners go right down and get them out of doggy
jail.  They aren't required to fix the fence, leash the dogs or anything
else!!  So that is why we don't walk in our neighborhood.  So much for
living in a small town, huh?
    Due to the above mentioned problems, the majority of Bear's exercise is
done on a 60' lead.  His activity of choice is jumping on the trampoline.
All I have to do is ask if he wants to jump on the trampoline and he runs
over and puts his feet up on the blue mat.  I recently bought him a muzzle
because I was affraid he was going to bite his tongue or one of the girls.
When I showed it to him and told him to put it on and we would go jump it
was almost as if he knew what to do.  He walked right into it and we went
and jumped and he had a great time.
    Now when he's wrestling with the girls and Todd on the bed I have him
wear it then too.  That way he doesn't "mouth" them too bad.

Well, that's pretty much it.  Good luck.

Bridget