Re: [pyrnet] Ki

pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org writes:
>My question is, what kind of things do I need to look for in a trainer?
>What questions do I ask and which approaches do you recommend and which do
>you not?
Ann Marie, the biggest thing, I think, is to get a trainer who has
experience if not with pyrs, at least with other independent working
breeds! If a trainer has worked mostly with goldens, a pyr will drive
her/him crazy--and probably you too--trying the get the same kind of
reactions, consistently. The same kind of training doesn't work the same
way for all dogs, even all pyrs, but I'd look for someone who does not use
harsh methods--for example, our trainer who helped us so much with
Paddington would not even put a training collar of any kind on until she
was sure the puppy was old enough to understand the command. It's not fair
to give a correction when the pup doesn't know what (s)he's been asked to
do in the first place. Ask to sit in on a session and be sure you are
comfortable with the methods used before you make any commitments. And
observe your dog's reaction to the trainer: pyrs are amazing judges of
people.
Hope this is helpful.
Ann, Peg, Paddington and Ivy Rose