Re: [pyrnet] Staph Infections - Immune System

In a message dated 8/13/00 1:15:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, PyrMom@aol.com
writes:

<< Paddy has the very scaly patches which are real red.  He tries to lick or
 scratch them sometimes but will usually stop with a loud "knock it off."  I
 feel so bad for him because I know he can't be comfortable.

 Thank you for all your responses.  I will check out the articles and talk
 with my vet about another thyroid test.

I'm reading all this with interest, as we have gone through a similar thing
with our youngest male, Tanuki.  Since he was about 6 months old, he has had
skin problems.  I checked my records, and every year about this time he seems
to break out with really scaly places on his legs, head and back.  None are
extremely bad, and he never seemed to do too much biting or scratching.  Last
year we had a full allergy check done.  Of course, nothing found.  Well, on
Wednesday I took him to the vet, and he had a full thyroid check done
(results should be back late next week).  We can confirm that it's not a
staph infection nor is it demodex.  Our vet still thinks it's allergy
related, especially seeing that it appears to be season related.  Right now
he's on an anti-biotic to help clear up the infection, and an antihistomine.
What was interesting about the antihistomine -- it's the same ingredient as
in the Walmart brand of benadryl, but 50 mg instead of 25 mg.  If it works, I
can see myself going to Walmart quite often <VBG>.

Robyn (what was that Stock Exchange code for Walmart?)
dancingpyr@aol.com
Taylors, SC