Re: [pyrnet] bloat

<<I have gotten myself all worked up about bloat.  Can someone give me a
idea of how common it is in pyrs.  Aside from feeding several small meals,
avoiding lots of water and exercise after eating, what can I do to prevent
it?  Should I get a high feeder?  She lays down to eat now, it that
bad?>>Sherri

I don't think it is overly 'common', but that does not mean it is
'impossible' for a Pyr to bloat.

A good place to go for the most comprehensive and up to date info on bloat
is the Purdue University website:
http://www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/vad/cae/research.htm

This research has suggested that using a raised feeder is not a good idea.
Actually I think your dog has a very sensible approach lying down to eat in
a relaxed manner ;-).

There is also I think some suggestion in the notes somewhere that feeding a
diet of food that contains moisture in addition or instead of purely kibble
can assist.

There is certainly anecdotal evidence that feeding a diet that does not
'swell up' (or ferment) in the stomach can assist - particularly a diet that
does not contain grains (grains can actually 'slow down' the passage of food
through the dogs system).

There are many people feeding a raw natural diet who believe that this
reduces the chances of bloat.  I have heard some Mastiff breeders for
instance say that they have greatly reduced problems with bloat by changing
to this way of feeding.  Please notice I did not say 'totally' - although
some have reported that while they had major problems beforehand and no
instances since a diet change, like all things you can 'never say never'.
There have been a few reported cases of dogs bloating on this type of diet,
although mainly due to overeating and food theft creating too much 'weight'
in the stomach (and the dog rolling) as opposed to the creation of 'gasses'
in the stomach.

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia
espinay@dynamite.com.au