Re: [pyrnet] Choke collar or Prong collar???

In a message dated 8/15/00 3:53:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lochsloy@eagnet.com writes:

<< I use a prong collar when I walk Beau outside our fence or in
 public. He outweighs me and I need that little "extra" bit of pressure as an
 equalizer. The prong collar was recommended to me by the lady who ran the
 obedience classes that I put Beau through. It only took a few corrections
 with the collar to make him stop trying to drag me >>

Sorry for the late response, just getting caught up on emails, before being
out of town again.  Like Marie, we used a prong collar on Baron in training
situations.  A simple choke didn't seem to have much effect.  We were shown
by our trainer how to properly fit the collar and to correctly use it.  As
stated, it is not to be used "in anger".  Basically, the handler doesn't do
anything, just let the dog pull on the lead.  It's uncomfortable, and the dog
stops pulling.  Now, all our dogs walk politely on a loose lead, and only in
situations when I feel that I'll need that little bit extra control do I even
use the prong collar.  One thing about the prong collar, it can only tighten
so far.  This is an advantage over a simple choke collar, which does just
that -- choke, there is no stopping it.  From my experience, when a prong
collar is used properly, and for the purpose that it was intended, no harm is
done to the dog.  The prongs are not pointed, and with the amount of fur that
a Pyr has around it's neck, it's amazing that they feel it at all.  When we
were first introduced to the prong collar by our trainer, she had us clamp it
on our bare arm to get a feel of what it was like.  Personally, I found it
just cold, not painful.

Robyn
dancingpyr@aol.com
Taylors, SC