Re(2): [pyrnet] Choke collar or Prong collar???

pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org writes:
From my experience, when a prong
>collar is used properly, and for the purpose that it was intended, no
>harm is
>done to the dog.  The prongs are not pointed, and with the amount of fur
>that
>a Pyr has around it's neck, it's amazing that they feel it at all.  When
>we
>were first introduced to the prong collar by our trainer, she had us
>clamp it
>on our bare arm to get a feel of what it was like.  Personally, I found
>it
>just cold, not painful.
Totally agree, Robyn. That was exactly our experience, and our trainer did
the same thing, partly because she had to convince me. I'd always declared
that I'd never use one of those things! Paddington is now a perfect
gentleman on a leash, except on those rare occasions when he encounters
another dog he does not believe should be in his world--that's when I'm
grateful for the prong collar--just knowing it's on is enough for him to
not pull me off my feet. I only use it in situations where such encounters
might happen, and find it infinitely kinder than the choke collar I was
taught to train with years ago.
Ann, Peg, Paddington and Ivy Rose