Re: [pyrnet] CHAT: Great Pyrenees in the Media

In a message dated 8/22/00 1:15:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
julie@northernspruce.com writes:

<< For those of you on the list with more knowledge about Pyrs
 as LGDs, what do you think?  Does this sound like typical behavior, or did
 the rancher happen to acquire Pyrs with below-average guardian abilities?  I
 was always under the impression that Pyrs were used historically to protect
 sheep from bears, so I would think that they could be effective today as
 well. >>

I think the article probably has a bias, employing the various methods used
to detour bears to fail.  Seems like everything in the printed media has a
spin on it these days and they don't in many cases feel much need to stay
very close to facts and accuracy.  If you want to see a very interesting
account of Bears and Pyrs go to the Web site of the  Great Pyrenees Club of
Norway.  Granted these are not grizzlies, which may be bigger and more
aggressive.  Very interesting reading and they have it in English.

http://www.adbsys.no/NPHK/

Joe