Re: [pyrnet] CHAT: Great Pyrenees in the Media

In a message dated 8/23/00 10:09:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
SWachter@email.msn.com writes:

<< Don't think people
 understand a grizzly bear could have a Pyr on each leg and one on an arm and
 still swat a Pyr with one paw and break its neck. >>

I am sure you are right about not appreciating the size and strength and
possibly aggressiveness of the Grizzly.  The posted article seemed to imply
that three Pyrs were not willing to engage the Grizzly.  That would be
different from my experience with the breed entirely.  There is no rule that
says that if three were not enough that you could use 4,5,10, etc., until the
deterrent was sufficient.  The Pyr also traditionally worked with a Shepherd.
 The Pyr will not chase nor try to harm unless protecting, so it is an
infinitely more suitable, environmentally acceptable course, than all the
other measures I am aware. The Pyr will clear the area it guards of all
unwanted intruders.  When you read the old stories about guarding in the
Pyrenees you many times read about many dogs used.  Dr. Bordeaux's little
book "Messengers from an ancient civilization" gives a boyhood account of
this.  There are others.

Joe