Re: [pyrnet] Barking

In a message dated 08/30/2000 5:44:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
annmarie86@earthlink.net writes:

<<

 There is absolutely nothing that will stop my Pyr from
 barking during the times when he is in our yard. I
 have tried everything. Now when he gets started, I
 just bring him back in. He *will* stop barking when I
 tell him to stop indoors.

 Go figure.

 Katie

 =====

 The Great Pyrenees as Pet Page at:
 http://hometown.aol.com/oxymomkate/index.html

 Attachment Parenting at http://www.attachmentparent.com/

  I have a bark collar that I bought from RCSteele.  It is expensive.  A
 little over $100.  But it works very well.  It doesn't shock the dog but
 uses citronella spray to stop the barking.  It has a sound activator that
 shoots citronella in front of the dogs nose every time he/she barks.  Ki
 only barked with it on 2 times.  We got the collar for my Jack Russell who
 was keeping my neighbors up every night barking at trees.  But it works well
 on Ki.  I used it when the dog next door was out.  He doesn't have to wear
 the collar anymore, and still doesn't bark at the other dog.  Ki isn't much
 of a barker anyway, only when something is entering his territory or he sees
 another dog.  Just thought this might be an idea for you.  The batteries for
 the collar are $6 and it doesn't need to be worn all the time, just when the
 barking creates a nuisance for others.  Hope this helps.

 Ann Marie, Ki and Chesney

   About a year ago I bought 2 shock collars, that worked great. They are
available online at Petexpo for $59. They both have 7 level settings, and are
vibration activated, not sound activated like some. They will give a shock
only after 3 seconds of continuous barking. I used these for just a few weeks
at night only, and since have rarely had to use them at all; about 3 months
since I've had to use them last. I know some on pyrnet are against these, but
they have worked very well for us.  Unfortunately we all don't have those
great understanding neighbors that I've heard about. If you haven't tried
this, I thought you may want to consider it.    Charlie