Re: [pyrnet] New subscriber

In a message dated 9/3/00 12:44:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
infinity13@ameritech.net writes:
<<We gave up on the area breeders, and bought the litter mate to my brothers
puppy. >>

Why did you give up on them?  One of my pet peeves with people that want a 8
week old puppy right at the time the whim moves them is they are asking for
the volume puppy millers to make a score.  I always tell those who say "Oh,
we want a XXXX week old puppy only," that if they had come around "YYY weeks
ago this puppy would have been XXXX weeks old."  Actually that almost never
happens anymore as all the pups are all almost reserved now.  Something has
to happen that someone cannot take one for there to be an available pup.
There is a reason the good breeders do not have a puppy available at the drop
of the hat.  You know the reason, but I will say it here anyway.  Its like
anything else of quality, the word gets around and these people have more
demand than they choose to service.  They also probably would have given you
a better price with a better guarantee.  Those who cannot wait are actually
good for the breeders home selection process as these whim buyers are the
greatest problem owners to both breeders and rescuers (many times the same
people).

<< What do we look for? How do we pick a good Pyr puppy? Our son breaks our
hearts every day asking for his white pretty puppie....We tell him he will
have her back soon. This is our dillema...we feel beat up, and lost.Any ideas
anyone? >>

You already know the answers to all these questions, being a vet tech.  Your
money is gone, a hard lesson.  Now don't compound it by making it again.  Go
to reputable breeder and get on their waiting list.  That in itself will take
care of almost all the rest of your questions.  As far as your son, tell him
the puppy was sick and you are getting him another, but have to wait until it
is born (or some other acceptable explanation of what actually happened).
Its never too early to start teaching children the value of delayed
gratification, as immediate gratification in the face of knowledge to the
contrary caused the problem you are faced.  You know being a vet tech that
even with all these very carefully worked out procedures with dogs there is
no guarantee other than the one being given by the breeder to stand behind
for the lifetime any puppy they put on this earth.

BTW, in 30 years in the breed, have not seen Varius you describe, so I do not
think it common.  Maybe others will have more information.

Joe