Re: [pyrnet] New subscriber

On 3 Sep 00, at 11:05, Bonnie Trones wrote:

> Joe, I realize you have strong feelings about the subject Erin brought up
> but it doesn't seem like a very hospitable way to welcome them on top of
> the fact that they already know what they've done, she said so.

Bonnie and others new to the list, you will learn that there are many
of us with very strong feelings on this topic.  Most of these
feelings stem from the tremendous rescue problem and pyrs being bred
without a thought to the breed standard. New folks on the list need
to hear about the down side of the popularity of the breed, to learn
that buying from Pet Shops, puppy millers and back yard breeders is
not the way to go; if we are all to preserve the Great Pyrenees
Breed.  It is very hard to reach the general public with education,
btw, the main concern of the GPCA and Regional Clubs in the US.  By
supporting breeders who are not responsible, we all are enabling
these unscrupulous people to continue lining their pockets, promoting
poorly bred Pyrs, many with health and temperament problems, which,
the majority we end up with in rescue.  From the numerous posts, Erin
was given some very good advice, don't buy from a Pet Shop, puppy
mill or BYB and also to check the puppy lemon laws in her state.  She
may have some recourse in getting her money back.  At times writing
with conviction and strong emotions comes across as disapproving or
conciliatory, when in fact the welfare of the breed is at stake. I
personally find that many people get caught up with the emotions of
the beautiful, majestic Great Pyrenees.  Seeing a Pyr for the first
time makes an impression.  Most of the general public has no idea if
the dog they see is well bred or not and most we see here in NM are
not.  But even people who see my own rescue think she is beautiful
with no idea of how far she is from the breed standard.  We cannot
allow this to continue.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico