Re: [pyrnet] New subscriber

Cindy, the Pyrs in the Pet Shop here are $1,200.00. Jan, the
"other options" are exactly what happens to them. The only reason
we don't have more Pyr pups in the pet store here (as well as
other large breeds) are the fact that they grow so quickly. When
I was working in a Pet Supply Store (no live animals sold) about
5 years ago, pups cost about $100.00. Almost any breed you
wanted. At that time Pyrs were going for $800.00-$900.00 in pet
stores. (we had a book in the store that gave wholesale prices
for everything including pups and kittens and I still have it to
remind me) so the mark up is considerable. My first puppy mill
Pyr cost us $2500.00 the first year in Vet bills, including his
euthanasia as he was very poorly bred and was very aggressive
especially toward children. Didn't see this in him until he was 9
months old. Second Pyr was from a pet store, cost us $2000.00 in
her first 2 1/2 years including euthanasia due to severe health
problems and resulting problems in temperament. We learned a very
heartbreaking and costly lesson, the hard way. Before we had to
have our second Pyr destroyed, we found a good breeder, paid
$700.00 for a quality pup (darn near 10 years ago) and over the
almost 10 years he hasn't cost me nearly as much, even with the
costs of showing him to his Championship!

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs) & Flopsy (Pyr Shep)
bamb@monmouth.com