[pyrnet] Re: Collars

I never leave collars on my dogs, don't want to spoil the coart around the neck and more than anything don't want to risk my dogs. I know a lot of people have multiple dogs wearing collars for years and years with no problems, but accidents do occur.
A couple of my friends has had accidents happen to their dogs. One friend  had two pyr bitches get into a little riff, nothing that should have been serious, but one of them got a teeth into the others collars - a choke chain, but could have happened with almost any other kind of collar - broke the underjaw and had to be put down.
The other friend had two young afghans playing, both were wearing flat nylon two link chokes, and one got caught in the others collar, panicked and strangled the one wearing the collar. In this case my friend were lucky to be right by, so she managed to save both dogs, but couldn't free the panicking one until the other one has lost consciousness. It does not take much imagination to figure out what would have happened if she had not been home, or even if the dogs had been out playing in the garden and she busy with something else.

The facts that someone has done it for years without a problem is no guarantee it won't happen tomorrow.

Lene Nielsen
sandybear@intercity.dk
http://home.intercity.dk/~ic0795/