Re: [pyrnet] Adoption of blind Pyr

On 17 Sep 2000, at 7:23, JGentzel@aol.com wrote:
> You need to be concerned about associated genetic problems.  Blindness is
> many times associated with other problems like dwarfism and in turn there can
> be multiple problems that necessitate expensive and emotionally connected
> medical interventions over the years.  I would have the dog checked
> completely by a vet first.  You might be opening the door to many dollars
> cost and the emotional trauma associated with the problems.

I think at one time this might have been true, blindness and
dwarfism.  Since there are several eye problems in the breed now
....... PRA and juvenile cataracts are now both confirmed in the
breed that may not no longer be true.  The other thing would be has
a heart check been done by a cardiologist to rule out any chance
of SAS?

Eyesight and heart problem dogs can live out full lives.  You just
have to know how to deal with the problems.  Some dogs adjust
well to eyesight loss and others do not and it's getting them
adjusted to their environment and them learning how to get around
in their environment.  My guy, that I have, had a harder time moving
into the house I have because he had to relearn where things are
and they map their surroundings.  Once they've done that they are
usually fine.  But then Sonny has not lost all of his sight, only part
of it.

The book name I mentioned "Living with Blind Dogs" takes you
through the hints on how to get a blind dog to map new
surroundings and hints on when there are other dogs in the
environment.  When Sonny's out and about I put him with Linsey,
miss confident, and they will take their ques from other dogs in
their environment when they aren't sure about what's going on.

Janice, janices@austin.rr.com
Lana & Linsey (newfs), Sonny (pyr)
http://home.austin.rr.com/janices
Hutto, TX