[pyrnet] Re: Adoption of blind pyr

Julie

I  was not really trying to tell you not to save the blind puppy, who certainly needs saving, but to warn you - before you decided to keep the puppy yourself - that pyr males - especially intact studs -often do not get along very well.
In my 20 years with the breed I have known many people try with two pyr males together, some have been succesfull, but more have failed. One of the things that have seemed to make a difference is difference in age. Male litter mates are probably more likely to end in failure than any other combination.
Of course there is never any guarantee that any two dogs will get on, no matter what sex or age, but most of the pyr breeders I know keep two or more females together succesfully, but almost none can have their intact males together, so I think it is fair to say that chances of succes are higher with females than with males.
All this may be irrelevant because you are not trying to choose an other dog to fit in with the two you have already, but deciding whether this little blind fellow will fit in.

Margeret gives you some good advice as how to introduce this young fellow, but the way I see it is that if there are going to be trouble, it probably won't be now - no well balanced adult dog will seriously  harm a puppy - but in a few years time when both these males are adult.

Anyway I hope things work out well for you and the blind puppy. Good luck to both of you.

Lene Nielsen
sandybear@intercity.dk
http://home.intercity.dk/~ic0795/