Re: [pyrnet] Barking

One thing I will say is, do not yell at them when they bark.
Tell them "no" firmly, and quietly.  When you get loud it seems to
escalate their excitement, as if there really is something they need to
be barking at.  If Mom is that upset....there must be something I need to
know.  When you are quiet about it, they listen, and they settle faster.

My Shih-Tzu used to only bark to alert ( they are outstanding little dogs
for that job, with deep barks for their small stature ).  Now the
original four Pyrs. have her barking much more.  The new Pyr. doesn't
bark much.  I think with being tossed out, he doesn't really feel much in
the way of territory...yet.  He looks at the other guys like " what?
what? "  But I know that in time he will alert to the same things that
get the other guys.  I think Pyrs. bark because that was the best way for
them to alert predators over a distance that they were on guard.  Look at
Dobe's, more barks per minute than any other breed.  Their barks are fast
and immediate.  Pyr. barks are often more of a "just letting anyone out
there know" type thing.

But I do find that the quieter I am with them, the quieter they are in
return.  And yes, I am one of those against de-barking.  Remember, some
dogs even get their bark back after debarking, it is not an absolute.
Secondly, would you want to be silenced?  J.M.O.  Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka