Re: [pyrnet] Barking

On 19 Sep 00, at 6:38, clhenke@juno.com wrote:

> Pyr. barks are often more of a "just letting anyone out there
> know" type thing.
>
> But I do find that the quieter I am with them, the quieter they are in
> return.  And yes, I am one of those against de-barking.  Remember, some
> dogs even get their bark back after debarking, it is not an absolute.
> Secondly, would you want to be silenced?  J.M.O.  Cindy

Yes some pyrs bark to let one know a leaf is falling <grin>.
The Pyrs I have met who have had successful debarking done do make
noise, it is just muted and more of a gruff, low bark. As Jan stated,
if anyone is considering having their pyr debarked, choose a Vet with
experience.  Also the dog must be kept completely quiet for two weeks
following the procedure.  Allowing the dog to bark forms scar tissue
which in turn brings back the bark full force. Again a highly
personal choice.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico