[pyrnet] Alarm Barks

There must be all types of dogs and dog personalities, but seriously, when I
check it out and look outside or turn off the TV and listen, the pyrs are
always right.  There is something going on or someone in our yard.  They
hear the loud car, little kid on a bike, or squealing airplane about a
minute before I do, but it is always there.  I selected Pyrs at least partly
for their size and guarding qualities.  In my opinion, that means they are
due some respect for their work and an explanation of why people are in our
yard and it is OK. Or if it is not OK, they earn a dog cookie.  I mean you
have to let the dog do what is natural to the dog.  But train to minimize
the volume or the duration.  But it stands to reason, that just as there are
all kinds of humans, some pyrs probably are useless as well, barking at
shadows and falling leaves.

Also, Cindy describes very well several things I have also observed in my
suburban dogs. If you yell back, it becomes puppy play.  Unless you bellow
alpha. If you decide to bellow, you have to do it right or it escalates the
excitement. The staccato no is a monosyllable level, one word, same word
response to each bark.  It means I am serious.  It usually takes two or
three Nos to stop the indoor barking.  It seems that to use one word
commands it really important.  My boys used to do the - just letting anyone
know out there bark, any time they went outside in the dark.  The additional
outside lights stopped this.  Perhaps because they can see their territory
and don't need to make the general warning.  They do not do it in the day
time.

Cindy, my non-alpha lets the alpha bark for him.  This may be a clue for you
to use to predict if/when your new Gully is beginning to feel like
challenging your pack for position.

I love the water pistol idea.  I have had very good luck with water in the
spray bottle to train cats.  I had never thought of it for dogs.  This list
is a great source of ideas.

Here in Texas, there are a lot of live-in obedience schools.  If you are at
wits end with the barking, maybe you could send the dog off to camp for a
few days and get a break.  At the terrible twos, some obedience classes are
very helpful re-establishing that you are alpha with Pyrs.  Of course, ask
questions to see what the trainer believes about praise, reinforcement,
hitting & punishment.  In my opinion it is a mistake to hit a Pyr.  A few
weeks ago on the list, people reported good luck with the citronella collars
and one kind of bark collar.  Perhaps you have already tried "everything."

Sandy, Jake and Jeep