Re: [pyrnet] Barking

In a message dated 9/19/00 3:01:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
greatpyrenees@att.net writes:

<<   De-barking a
 natural barker is beyond my comprehension.  If I get a chinese crested
 dog, but I don't like hairless dogs, should I subject the dog to hair
 implants, or, better yet, have a lobotomy?  How about a nice basenji for
 those who don't like barking.  Christine >>

You know Christine there is no winning.  We really check out folks and lay
down strict guidelines of who can own one, and we get severely criticized for
being too difficult to deal with.  The puppy mills and BYB love this.  Then
when you do sell a dog and it barks, then someone speculates that you may not
have told the new owner "how much" it barks.  Tell us how much barking is too
much or excessive?  Pretty hard to quantify?

Somewhere along the line the buyer has some responsibility in addition to the
really great job most breeders do, to work on it themselves.  Maybe the
failure to communicate is not the breeder, but the public who wants the
fashionable romance of the dog immediately and gets rid of it just as
quickly.  There is only so much we breeders can do and we cannot know what is
in the minds and hearts of people who buy our dogs no matter how hard we try.
 So cut it either way, you get blasted for doing the best you can.  That's
why many of us have little patience for all this "pie in the sky" rhetoric.

Climbing down from my soapbox,  "Everyone have a wonderful day".

Joe