Re: [pyrnet] Consider breeding carriers (a proposal)

----- Original Message -----
From: Barb Bowes <bamb@monmouth.com>

This is fascinating to me, as I've been told repeatedly that the
Mals form of dwarfism IS NOT the one found to be in Pyrs! >.

Well, I don't know who has been telling you that but sometimes I think that
there are a lot of loose lips around; some trying (deliberately or not) to
obscure what is going on here.  Trying very hard to make it, or pretend
that it is, something other than what it is.  I am not saying that
chondroplasia in Pyrs is *identical* in all particulars to what we see in
Mals but in most parameters, they really are the same.  Including their age
and health profiles and the skeletal changes seen radiographically, many of
which are used to diagnose the condition.

I have a problem understanding why anyone would wish it to be different
from Mals.  If we have basically the same condition, we can benefit
immeasureably from what the Mal club has accomplished over the 20+ years
that they have been working with the condition.  We won't have to reinvent
the wheel.

Linda Weisser
lmweisser@olywa.net