Re: [pyrnet] Consider breeding carriers (a proposal)

In a message dated 9/23/00 10:39:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lmweisser@olywa.net writes:

<< Would you like to elaborate on this?  Of course there is a deformity. >>

I think everyone knows that I am speaking to the disfigured limbs and
deformities seen in some dogs with Dwarfism (not just the shortening of the
limbs) and yes these animals do have difficulty with locomotion, etc.  But it
goes to other anomalies such as hearing and any others.

<<corgis, bassetts, dauchshunds, Tibetan
spaniels (the list goes one)--and decide if their dwarfism makes them
impossible pets or causes them to suffer.>>

You are saying that the dwarf Pyr would be a breed that just has short legs?
I think there is much more to the scenario than just short legs.  Do you
'know' that these breeds (corgi's, etc.) are "Dwarfs" as far as the genetic
defect that is likely the causative problem with Pyrs.  I realize they are
referred in some circles as Dwarf breeds, but I have never associated the
gross limb deformity, hearing, and other associated problems being related to
these dogs.  What single breed of dog is the Corgi a Dwarf of, i.e., was the
result of a genetic mutant in a very established single breed?  or "bassetts,
dauchshunds, Tibetan
spaniels (the list goes one)" as you said.

<<Are you saying here that carriers will pass on these problems to other
"normal" Pyrs.>>

No, what I said is that with the cute little short legged Dwarfs that appear
normal otherwise, they carry the higher incidence in the genetic makeup to
produce the gross associated problems, hearing and musculoskeletal, in future
generations.  Just the same as a carrier appears normal but can and do
produce Dwarfs.   Its the same concept of genotype Vs phenotype in breeders
terms.

<<bassetts, dauchshunds, Tibetan
spaniels (the list goes one)>>

Yes, that's my point completely and they do not need a genetic marker to do
so.  So this whole area is a total red herring IMHO.

Joe