Re: [pyrnet] Dwarfism or Congenital Chondrodysplasia

In a message dated 9/26/00 11:54:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lmweisser@olywa.net writes:

<< Again I ask, "*What* "deformities >>

You do not consider the following deformities?

<<This debilitating disease is actually
   a birth defect causing the dog's upper foreleg to become overly
   massive, short, and twisted and appears in Malamute and related
   breeds.>>

Quibble as you might about the incidence, it is there and is genetically
based.  It is abnormal and something we do not want in the breed.

<<However, although the deformities may appear "serious" they most
often are not debilitating or painful.  Heck there are many breeds that are
dwarfs on purpose (dauchs, corgis, bassetts, Tibetal spaniels) and they
seem not to suffer excessively.>>

These breeds are not the same thing at all as a Dwarf Pyr.  These are normal
breeds of dogs, not some genetic defect of a large breed.   All I can do is
present the information.  If it is dismissed by people, so be it.  There is a
ton of very respected information supporting this type dwarf occurrence and
it describes its symptoms and sequelae, that is likely related to what is
happening in Pyrs.  There are occurrences where the deformities are
debilitating and painful.  This and many other references document this
sufficiently.

Joe