Re: [pyrnet] First Heat

On 26 Sep 2000, at 8:47, JKW9298@aol.com wrote:
> Our female Pyr had her first heat around six months. I was told to wait until
> after her first heat,because this will help eliminate some female problems in
> the future.We had her fixed at 7 months of age. Julie

What female problems?  This is an old myth from my perspective.
The only reason I keep intact females or males is if I'm showing
them in conformation and I only have one female right now doing
that otherwise they're fixed before they ever go into heat.  If you're
talking about incontinence there's no difference in females
developing it whether wait or not.  And the more heats let them go
through the chances of cancer go up to where there is no difference
where they go down significantly if spay before the first heat.

Janice, janices@austin.rr.com
Lana & Linsey (newfs), Sonny (pyr)
http://home.austin.rr.com/janices
Hutto, TX