Re: [pyrnet] spaying after the first heat

On 26 Sep 2000, at 20:41, Margaret Greiner wrote:
> At the vets office my daughter works for they will not spay or neuter before
> 8 months of age they have told me especially in males because their genital
> area is not matured that it can stunt the urethra and cause serious bladder
> infections and possible other serious problems down the road.

Spayed females are protected against mammary cancer and
uterine infections. In males, castration reduces the risk of testicular
cancer and enlargement of the prostate and related infections.
There is no difference in urinary tract development between early
and late spay/neuter other than the differences related to sex.  This
is another old way of thinking that has become unsupported.

Janice, janices@austin.rr.com
Lana & Linsey (newfs), Sonny (pyr)
http://home.austin.rr.com/janices
Hutto, TX