Re: [pyrnet] Dwarfism

In a message dated 9/27/00 8:07:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, pyreau@erols.com
writes:

<< Joe, I think in these pictures you will be able to see that characteristic
 bowing and toeing out of the front legs that one associates with
dwarfs.....the
 same sort of thing that you see in Bassets, dachsunds, Corgi's etc.  It is a
 deformity, but none of those breeds seem to be bothered by it. >>

There certainly are those pictures taken of the Pyrs. I wish now I had asked
for pictures several years ago of the reported deformities.  I never dreamed
we would be debating such a thing.  Read the literature on the dwarfs in
Mals.  This is not a new thing or a secret.  Since everyone seems to think
this is the same syndrome genetically, it is a problem.

Thankfully I am lucky enough to have never bred a dwarf, so I have to depend
on what I see and read.  I have the ability to think for myself and have to
dismiss the notion that these little dogs are just some type cute dog like a
corgi, bassett, etc.    Since my information does include verbal descriptions
going back several years ago of some gross leg deformities and since the
extensive Mal literature describes same, I think I have to take it seriously.
 If others want to dismiss this that's what makes the world go round.  I
think it important that all information be given and we do not have it spoon
fed to us.  Read the literature and keep you eyes and ears open.  From what I
know, it is a problem.  If I am wrong, that would be wonderful for the
dwarfs, but would change nothing for the breed and the problem we are facing.

Joe