Re: [pyrnet] GPCA

There is a proposal floating around somewhere to create an associate class
of membership in the GPCA as a sort of probation period.  I don't
understand the need for this and there is a letter in the latest Bulletin
recommending a more open approach to membership which pretty much
represents my opinion on this matter.

I am membership chair of the Penn-Dutch regional club and our only
requirement for full voting membership is that you be at least 18 and
agree to abide by our code of ethics (and pay dues, of course).  I can't
say with certainty that no member has EVER violated the code of ethics,
but I don't believe we have ever had a formal complaint.  We certainly
haven't been inundated with puppymillers wanting to join.

I know a regional club is very different from an AKC parent club which
holds responsibility for maintaining the standard.  Even so, I think the
GPCA could be more welcoming.

AND the GPCA is NOT just for breeders.  I think only about 1/3 of the
membership list themselves as breeders.  Anyone who is committed to
supporting this breed should consider joining.  Keep in mind, though, that
for most members the GPCA only really exists for 4 days a year during the
National Specialty which includes the Annual Meeting.  The rest of the
year the work of the Club goes on through committees--and it is very
important work!

The regional clubs, however, are generally more active and can provide
education and support, especially for those new to the breed.

Please note that I'm stating my own opinions here, not those of the GPCA
(of which I am a member) or the Penn-Dutch regional club.

David
 David Kintsfather, Ph.D.       | PHONE:       (610) 683-4497
 Prof. of Telecommunications    | FAX:         (610) 683-4659
 Kutztown University            | E-MAIL:      kintsfat@kutztown.edu
 PO Box 730                     | "We need not think alike to love alike."
 Kutztown, PA  19530-0730       |              Francis David