Re: [pyrnet] GPCA

In a message dated 9/28/00 6:26:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time, pyreau@erols.com
writes:

<< One of the problems with an open membership for anyone interested is that
the
 Great Pyrenees Club of America is the body that is responsible for the AKC
breed
 standard.  Any changes made to that document have to be voted on by the GPCA
 membership.  Any other AKC decision about our breed go throught the GPCA
(i.e.
 the GPCA decides which colors should be designated on the registration
forms).
 It seems to me that the thinking of those Board members in  favor of
stringent
 membership requirements is that the people who are going to be asked to vote
on
 these things need to be informed.  >>

The GPCA got along pretty well with the original policy from about 1935 until
the board became very concerned that those unethical breeders who were
members were using its sterling name as an advertising vehicle, at least
that's that a board member told the Regional Clubs in Vancover, WA several
years ago when they came up with this first change.  Now the reasons since
have seemed to develop some diversity, so I guess there is an effort to
continue to develop the rationale for a more restrictive policy.

Problem in my mind is I do not think the big battle is in the AKC and the
GPCA affiliation.  I believe it is in the tens of thousands of fields, where
the dogs are being sold to work by the working dog breeders without one whit
of concern for the breeds history or any of its characteristics.  I don't see
any attempt to address this.  I only see scoffing and "what else is new" that
we just saw in the last few days.

Joe